Friday, January 17, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Lost and Delirious

The Pitch: "We've got Piper Perabo and Jassica Pare on board to play lesbian lovers..." I think that's as far as anyone has ever needed to go.

What Took Me So Long: Beyond they obvious selling point, I'd never heard anything about if it is any good.

Why I Saw It: With a plot that sounds closer to Lesbian Spank Inferno than Boys Don't Cry, I won't pretend this was a fully art-driven decision. Paren, Perabo, and a young Micha Barton is a solid nucleus for an indie movie and the young versions of all of them played it pretty well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I do call this an indie movie in a somewhat derogatory sense. On one level, there is a very basic plot of scorned love which is a staple of high school dramas. There seems to be disproportionately more boarding schools depicting in movies than there are in life which is a lazy way to avoid developing parents. There's a lot of bird imagery in this. I think that's meant to make it deep, but I don't think they ever develop why it's there. I'm sure the script must've come off as more meaningful, but the final product is pretty forgettable.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment