Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The English Patient

The Pitch: It's a love story for the ages, set in the desert during WWII.

What Took Me So Long: Ever since it came out, it sort of symbolized Oscar movies for me. It was this movie that was impossibly higher brow than me and I'd need a guide book to make my through it. I didn't say this was a correct read of it, but it's hard for an impression made when you were 9 to go away.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I figured it was best to finally demystify the movie. Also, it got me another movie further back in my Oscar winner checklist. At the time of writing this, the next one up is Out of Africa. Oh boy.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I've so far avoided to say anything of note about this film for a reason. I'm with Elaine on this. Not for me. I tried watching this twice and lost track (via losing interest) both times. I had to go to the Wikipedia page on this and still didn't know what happened. The movie looks good and all that and the acting was fine, but the final product could not have been less to my taste. So boring.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

2 comments:

  1. I read this review only to make sure you made the Seinfeld reference. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The episode of Seinfeld is probably more than 50% of my motivation to finally see this.

    ReplyDelete