Saturday, November 2, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Good Son

The Pitch: The Home Alone kid versus some kid who kind of looks like a hobbit.

What Took Me So Long: I never even heard of this movie as a passing comment until I saw it streaming on Netflix.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This movie blew my mind. I knew Elijah Wood and Macauley Culkin were both child actors and if I really reflected on it, I'd realize they started around the same time, but it never occurred to be that they are the same age. That's on me for being stupid. The movie is actually a lot darker than I expected, the ending especially. Culkin is a great villain. In fact, I would love to see him as the bad guy in something now. It's funny with Wood because so much of his performance is still the same now.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's an over-the-top quality to this that seems quaint now. Compare it to something like We Need to Talk about Kevin and you can see how Culkin's menace is almost cartoonish. I do respect the "some people are just born broken" element to it though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment