Monday, November 18, 2013

DVR Purge: 11/12-11/18

 
 Whoops. Wrong filibuster.


That's better.
Past Purges

SHIELD "The Hub"
My favorite line this week:
Simmons: "I like following the rules and doing what's expected of me. It makes me feel nice."
This show still isn't perfect but I thought found the pairing of Fitz and Ward and Simmons and Skye were refreshing changes of pace. They are still doing just enough to keep me interested.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Old School"
This episode fully pleased me. It is the most like an adult that Peralta has been yet. They showed him being a fully competent cop too. Most of the laughs of the night came from Det. Diaz for me though. I love the cut to her threatening the stenographer. Oh, and Santiago recognizing she's being manipulated by Capt. Holt but not caring was funny too.

New Girl "Menus"
Ok, I'm a lot more for Coach as a regular if this is what it will look like and I approve. Him re-meeting Cece was quite funny. It'll be funny seeing how a first season character fits into a third season world is off to an entertaining start. Jess's feud with the Chinese restaurant owner was weird. It fit though.

The Mindy Project "You've Got Sext"
Mindy: "Are you watching the nature channel? I love this. It makes me so happy I don't live in those places."
Was it my recording or was the sound a little off for a lot of the outdoor scenes. Regardless, a very good episode. They continue the outstanding record of guest stars. I didn't realize how much I missed Ellie Kemper on my TV until she turned up this week. On a similar note, I forget how much I miss seeing It's Always Sunny when Glenn Howerton shows up. Let's just hope they can build on the momentum of this episode.

Trophy Wife "Lice and Beary White"
Am I just in good mood or were all the shows Tuesday exceedingly good? Jackie and Kate realizing they both used to shampoo dogs was a fun throwaway joke. I love that the solution to the Hillary situation is to run away. I'm so tired of the Solomon solution being used, so Bert and Warren turning it on it's head is very welcome.

The Middle "The Jump"
This episode prominently features a puppy so I approve it. I sure hope the solution to Axl's problems isn't for him to move back in and drop out of school. That's such a lazy fix (I'm looking at you, Modern Family).

Back in the Game "Safety Squeeze"
Oh, is this the part of the season when we get an episode highlighting each of the kids? It was a charming enough episode and Tank vs. Dick was good for a couple laughs. I'm liking Gigi a lot more than I expected I would in the pilot.

Modern Family "A Fair to Remember"
As often is the case, I'm gonna need to break this down by character but overall, I have good feelings toward this episode:
Cam & Mitchell - It's weird how much I like them when they aren't undercutting each other. Mitchell basically just plays the chorus to Cam's football team issue. I loved the hitting vs. vacuuming away your demons joke and Cam yelling about bad calls from the sidelines.
Jay - He and Key or Peele was a familiar but effectively done buddy cop spoof. Key or Peele was excellent here.
Gloria & Manny - Seen it before but it was really just a means to the end of getting Manny on the football team, so whatever.
Alex & Luke - A bit of an underwhelming climax to the story. I appreciate that they are continuing to let Luke grow up though.
Phil & Claire - Poor Phil. I'm glad he got his Chinese acrobats. Had it ended with him being shamed from singing, I'd've been very disappointed.
Haley & the manny - Oh, right, like I'm going to not like that. Can I request that we formally retire the Manny/manny joke though.

Parks & Rec. "Filibuster/Recall Vote"
I'm not even going to try to break this episodes in my head. Assorted thoughts:
-As much Tatiana Maslany as possible, please. She close to displacing Natalie Morales for "best potential girlfriend for Tom who can't be a regular due to other jobs"...Ok, it may not be a large club, but it is a very good one.
-I don't remember only Donna and Ron being in a story before, but if this is the result, I support it entirely.
-I'm sad and surprised that Leslie lost the recall vote. From her point of view, that's a bummer. For my enjoyment of the show, I'm ok with this. Councilwoman Knope has not yielded the consistent results the rest of the show has.
-Does this mean this is the end of Rent-a-Swag? I hope not.

The Big Bang Theory "The Itchy Brain Simulation"
I'm not wild about the pettiness of Sheldon in this story (does the audience really need a reason to sympathize with him? Isn't he the villain of the series at this point?). It gave Johnny Galecki some funny physical comedy to do though, so it isn't all bad. Then we get the return of Kate Micucci. That's always going to be welcome.

The Crazy Ones "The Stan Wood Account"
Is it just me or did this episode not have an ending? It certainly ended but not a lot felt like it was resolved. I think that's a big difference between the comedies I like and love. I love ones that end where is best for the story. I like the ones that end where is best for one last laugh. I like to think the final act at the used car lot was inspired by The Good: Buy Hard, Sell Hard.

Parenthood "The Ring"
This is another one of those shows I must break up my discussion:
-Zeek and Camille. Zeek having fun was nice but the end was pretty heartbreaking.
-Jasmine and Crosby. He'll grow up one of these days. I'm glad that they had an episode with an ending like the minivan episode because sometimes Jasmine seems to only be written as a foil for him.
-Julia and Joel. I don't like them having marital issue. That's because it's tough to watch, not that the writers are doing a bad job. Far from it.
-Amber and Ryan. This is not going to end well, is it? Oh boy, next week is going to be rough.
-Adam and Kristina. I don't care. I want this story to end.
-Sarah. A small story. No complaints. I'd like to see more from Hank but he isn't a Braverman and I'm sure he'll return in time.
-Haddie...oh, I'm sorry. I guess she doesn't exist anymore.

SNL "Lady Gaga"
Mostly a funny episode. It wasn't the most diverse use of Gaga which was a little disappointing. Something like the "Waking Up with Kimye" sketch had her even more uncomfortable than I think they intended for her to be. The Upper West Side 2063 sketch was weird and somber and the laughs didn't so much matter. It was not a common thing for SNL to do but I liked it. I wasn't crazy about the Weekend Update until Taram Killam broke as the speechwriter. Enough here to make men excited for if she ever hosts again.

The Walking Dead "Live Bait"
This week was all about character rehab. This is the kind of episode I'd've liked before he went insane last year. He's getting the Loki treatment here. He's a bad guy but the writers/fans/etc. like him so he's being softened. It's not a horrible idea but it is a little transparent. David Morrissey does a great job. I don't know what to make with his travelling buddies, or, as I like to call them: girl who would be played by Michelle Rodriguez if she wasn't already busy, girl who looks way too much like Lauren Cohan, and replacement daughter. I get that not everyone understands as much about the zombies as we do, but aiming for the head seems like first day shit. You're telling me that would-be Michelle Rodriguez wouldn't have aimed for the head just once through sheer statistics? Whatever. Small girpe. It looks like they did a good enough job because, damn it, I think I'm pulling for the Governor now.

How I Met Your Mother "Mom and Dad"
At this point the show is way closer to 30 Rock than Friends. I'm not sure when that happened but it won't change anything. Both are great shows so no reason to be down on it. I really dug the "Sabotage" reference although that whole plotline seemed like it was trying to reference a dozen things at once. I didn't realize we needed to have an emotional beat for Billy Zabka. Even though it wasn't expected, it was welcome. His perspective, always being hated by anyone he saw a movie with, was very amusing. I'm so confused by Marshall's story. How close are they to where Sherri Springfield needed to be? If they were that close, why would she think she couldn't make it to the model UN event? It's odd, but the pro-oil spin at the end surprised me and got a good chuckle. With barely a day left until the wedding and the story only going until a few hours after said wedding, does this mean an increased frequency of time hopping stories? I hope so. There's gotta be at least one from the Mother's perspective coming up, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment