Saturday, November 9, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Rush Hour

The Pitch: We want Jackie Chan in an action movie, but lets put him with someone funny to make it a buddy cop movie.

What Took Me So Long: Jackie Chan + chatty American actor is a common enough setup that Shanghai Cowboys sufficed for a long time.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like Jackie Chan. He is a pretty unique Hollywood presence. His slapstick is kind of like Buster Keaton on crack. He is great at staged fighting but only seems concerned with how he can make it funny and I'd say the Rush Hour franchise. Chris Tucker is a good ying to Chan's yang even if he does exhausted you with his constant barrage of words. I wouldn't say there's anything new to this but it gets the buddy cop formula right.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As I said, Tucker wore me down, so that got a little tiring by the end. That is admittedly how his character is supposed to be seen, but that doesn't make it any less tiring.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment