Monday, November 11, 2013

DVR Purge: 11/6-11/11

Finally! I'm off the Wednesday cycle. I know how many of you will be disappointed by my break from consistency, but I'm about to get a couple days behind, so this was out of necessity. With a lot of heavy hitters taking a break and a surprisingly strong episode, HIMYM is my strong horse for this purge.



 

  Past Purges

The Big Bang Theory "The Proton Displacement"
I wonder how often they are going to dip into the Bob Newhart well now that they've seen how well received it is? I must say, I was surprised how quickly they brought him back. I think both times were within the calendar year. I'm never going to complain about some Newhart though. I was a little disappointed by the use of Bill Nye, except for him interacting with Newhart. It was a bit of a waste, but he isn't a comedic actor quite as much as Newhart, so I can understand the under-utilization. As for the regulars, they were fine. I like that Raj's ability to speak to women hasn't suddenly ended his invitations to girls nights.

The Crazy Ones "Sydney, Australia"

I've learned to always be in favor of Josh Groban in a comedy show. For a singer, the man gets how to do it. I'm curious if the Australian board pitch idea started with the idea of Simon and Zach doing Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and worked backwards from there. Regardless, I approve.

The Michael J Fox Show "Bed Bugs"
I get it. Leigh's annoying, but she's family. Isn't having her live in the same building as Mike's family enough to have her around too much? Did we really need to see her literally living in the apartment? Whatever. I'm not crazy about Ian being the hapless character who gets all the breaks. I'm still looking for some more characterization than "he's smart, but a fuck up."

Parenthood "Speaking of Baggage"
It's weird how no election talk seems to coincide with the better episodes of Parenthood this season. Ray Romano is welcome on this show as long as he wants. Hank is a great character and I continue to love any scene with him and Sarah because it is so awkward and not trying to prove anything. I'm starting to worry about how things are going with Amber and Ryan. This episode was quite ominous. Hopefully Ashes of Rome doesn't get in the way. Speaking of everyone's favorite primetime TV band, do Adam and Crosby just have no other work to do or clients? They must be going broke, right? Whatever. It makes for good TV. I find myself torn between insanely jealous of and completely pitying Drew right now. A very solid episode overall though.

The Walking Dead "Internment"

It wasn't a perfect episode but the dual sequence of Rick and Carl stopping the zombies at the gate while Hershel and then Maggie try to control the infirmary outbreak was one of the best the show has put together. I'm not looking forward to the return of the Governor/ That's a next week problem though. For now, this was a good episode.

HIMYM "Platonish"
Now that's what I'm talking about! This wasn't a perfect episode but if every episode was like this, I'd be really enjoying this season. We get Barney with some wacky hijinkss and also a Mother interaction that, while a little too instantly prophetic, was a great couple scenes. Ted and Marshall at the Harlem Globetrotters game, rooting for the Generals is a funny setting while rehashing the dos and don'ts of Ted and Robin. I'm not sure what the point of the return of Bryan Cranston is, especially considering they apparently couldn't get him in the same room as Ted, but I assume they will play itself out later. The Farhampton Inn was used as a bookend for the stories. You know, if every other week could be like this, I'd be pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment