Sunday, November 24, 2013

DVR Purge: 11/21-11/24



 Past Purges

The Big Bang Theory "The Thanksgiving Decoupling"
Look, I get that comparing his situation to slavery is completely within Sheldon's character and I did get a couple chuckles from it, but I've never been more certain that he is the antagonist of this show.

Parks and Rec. "Fluoride"
I'm not sure how I feel about Craig. They need to tone him down...all the way. I can see some long term potential for him, but not in his current form. I don't worry about the show's ability to do that though. He has long term potential due to the openings left by Ann and Chris leaving. Has Ann already left though? Was she in either episode? I knew Rashida Jones is leaving. I didn't realize there'd be a cutoff in appearances. Maybe I've not been paying attention. Did Leslie have to leave her job with the Parks dept. to become a council woman? She keeps talking about being unemployed. How did I miss that?

Parks and Rec. "The Cones of Dunshire"
1. Ben is King of the Nerds
2. Jamm has some kickass clothes.
3. Can Ron just go ahead and legally adopt April?

The Crazy Ones "Sixteen-Inch Softball"
This show likes it's montages. It continues to be perfectly amiable and traditional in all ways except the lack of laugh-track. I knew the only way the game would end would be with Simon getting drugged back up. I'm a little confused about why they let him play if they knew he was on sedatives. It made for a fun fantasy sequence though. I think the Simon/Zach relationship continues to be the best part of the show.

The Michael J Fox Show "Thanksgiving"
Holy shit, I haven't seen Charles Grodin since Beethoven. He's certainly aged. Is he really 70? The genuine moment between Mike and him at the end took me by surprise. The real guest-Star though was Candice Bergen. I really believe she could tear down Annie that quickly. It helps that she's been playing characters like this almost exclusively since Murphy Brown ended. Was that the first Harris and Eve story the show has done? That should happen more often. She interns for the station, right?

Parenthood "Election Day"
Hallelujah! The election is over and I couldn't be happier about it (and that she lost). There's plenty of other stories worth exploring and this has been eating up time. Crosby's story was light enough to counterbalance everything else going on although I'm confused why he would lie so much about voting. It's not like he was ever shown to be responsibly before reuniting with Jasmine. Actually, Max's story was pretty light too. It dealt with some of the difficulties he faces without making a big fuss of it. Really, the darkness is all with Amber and Ryan and Julia and Joel. Ryan's anger and jealously finally exploding was written in the wall from the moment we met him and it was only a matter of when and how. This is about as good as any way. Since Matt Lauria hasn't been signed on as a regular [yet], I'm assuming this will not end well from here. I find myself wanting to side with Joel in his marital strife because it is really unfair for Julia to be doing this after he stayed at home quietly for years. He is responding to all of this unreasonably poorly. He's never been a character who is this dense. If anything, he's the more perceptive of the two. There issues seem to be as much manufactured for plot as it is motivated by decisions that fit the characters. Again, thank god Kristina lost!

Saturday Night Live "Josh Hucherson/HAIM"
That had to be the least host intensive monologue I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure if Hucherson didn't have as much time to prep or if the writers had so little material. I've seen musical guests with more heavy lifting in an episode than him, which is surprising, because it's not like he was bad. The "Your Love" sketch was fantastic and his lip sync-ing sold it. You know who was busy this episode: Cicely Strong. Damn. I haven't seen that much usage since Kristen Wiig was on. This isn't a complaint, mind you. She is one of my two or three favorites in the cast right now and I was originally worried she would disappear outside of the Weekend Update desk.

The Walking Dead "Dead Weight"
Too much Governor. We have now officially been away from the prison for too long. For all the character rehab they did last week, he's back to being the same "Ends justify the means" despot that he was before. I sure hope whatever they have planned for him is something other than picking up exactly where we left off at the end of season 3. And, did I miss how he also magically found the prison too? In a zombia apocalypse, this sure is a small world. I guess that's what I expect from the show though. At least I have no worries about how well the action will be staged in next week's episode. They rarely disappoint with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment