Friday, November 15, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Ghost Rider

The Pitch: A guy sells his soul to the devil, by accident or something, and rides a motorcycle. Oh, and he turns into a fire monster thing, and only at night because it's the devil. You know what, it doesn't matter what it's about. This is a Marvel property, so this is getting green-lit regardless of what we pitch.
Cheer up Nic Cage. It gets better.
What Took Me So Long: Is "It looked stupid" a good enough reason?

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There really was no reason to see this. It's a Marvel production from Fox, so it doesn't even belong to the larger Marvel universe (that would be Disney). While not doing anything to particularly offend me, this is lazily unremarkable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Am I the only one bothered by the age difference of Eva Mendes and Nic Cage in this. Their flashback selves seem to be about the same age, but Mendes and Cage in no way look like they belong in the same age group. That took me out of the movie almost completely by itself. Beyond that, it's just a boring origin story. All this stuff about working for the devil and riding on a motorcycle are hokie. Oh, and the animation of the Ghost Rider looks bad. That's all I can say about that. I can't call this the worst Marvel movie, but it is certainly one that should be forgotten. I can't believe this had a sequel.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment