Thursday, November 14, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Punchline

The Pitch: I want to make a movie about the world of stand up comedy. No, god no! Not how it actually is. Let's do the Disney version of the that.

What Took Me So Long: I never knew about this movie until about a month before I got it from Netflix. That probably didn't bode well for it now that I think of it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Sally Field. Tom Hanks. Jon Goodman. Set in the back drop of the 80s stand-up comedy scene. What could go wrong?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It turns out, a lot can go wrong. First of all, it wasn't that funny. According to this movie, every comedian tells almost exclusively hack jokes. I've seen enough stand-up from then or before to know that it isn't a generational issue. I'm pretty sure when it came out, most of this was considered lazy comedy then too. Now, I realize that I probably know more about the comedy scene than the average Joe who this movie was aimed toward. Still, it is absolutely absurd that Sally Field's character is able to go from novice who can't even deliver jokes that she paid for to able to win a major competition in as short a time as she does. I found this entire movie to be laughable only in how bad it was. I assume other people will like it more than I did. Even ignoring the aspects of the comedy world that I didn't enjoy, the plot itself was very pedestrian and unremarkable. I suppose it does a decent job of giving the most basic of insights into the world of comedy and joke-writing though. Oh, and as someone watching this after seeing Forrest Gump, the romance angle between Hanks and Field creeped me out a bit.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment