Monday, November 25, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Atlantis: The Lost Empire

The Pitch: Let's find a sciency way to tell a kid's movie about Atlantis.

What Took Me So Long: I didn't think this was in the Disney catalog, so that halved my limited interest immediately.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I eventually realized it is a Disney movie. It's fun to compare the Disney Renaissance movies with the ones like Lilo & Stitch, The Emporer's New Groove, and this to figure out what went wrong. Because, this is not a bad movie. It's not all that different from, say a Pocahontas. The voice cast is top notch and it looks good. I think Joss Whedon is in the army of writers for this (hint: whenever "army" is used to describe writers of a screenplay, that's immediately a bad sign).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Alas, it is missing that "je ne sais quas" of Disney at its best. There's a magic or alchemy to it all and it wasn't there this time. The payoff for the mystery of Atlantis isn't all that great, but more importantly, the core story that's there when you strip away all the crazy characters and mythology isn't all that interesting. I'm not even sure if it was about friendship or having faith [in yourself].

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment