Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Romeo Must Die

The Pitch: Jet Li and hip-hop. It's a can't miss idea.

What Took Me So Long: I'm not a huge fan of Jet Li or hip-hop.

Why I Saw It: This is supposed to be a 90s retelling of Romeo and Juliet, I suppose. That is, it a retelling that is different than the retelling that Baz Lurhman did a couple years earlier. Basically, Romeo and Juliet in all its iterations is a story that, unlike its protagonists, won't die. Jet Li doing his crazy martial arts moves is always fun to see and I have to admit, Aaliyah is not as bad an actress as I'd've assumed.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I didn't really know what was going on a lot of the time. I know there was a lot of stuff about Asian and black gangs at war and a football stadium. Mostly though, it was scattered scenes of Jet Li beating people up. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for that if the staging of the fighting is the point of the movie, but this is one of those that tried to give it all too much plot and I could not have cared less.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment