Thursday, November 21, 2013

DVR Purge: 11/19-11/20

Look at this. I've got one of these up after only two days. Perhaps I've finally balanced the very few things I have going on in my life and have found consistency? That's sounds really unlike me though. I'm labeling this as a fluke until given reason to think otherwise.

Past Purges

SHIELD "The Well"
So, I assume they told Simmons to sound as much like Cate Blanchett at the beginning of a Tolkien Movie as possible for that opening? It worked well as the setup for them having to cleanup after Thor and company. I'm glad someone finally decided to acknowledge that the buildings just don't rebuild/clean themselves. As someone completely uninitiated with the comics, I appreciate the additional explanation of the Asgardians. We get some nice character background for Ward, although it still doesn't make his performance interesting. He's trying though. May is still a mystery but Ming-Na Wen (still can't believe she's 50) plays her well.
-It definitely seems like the writers have a better grasp on how to use Fitz and Simmons now than Ward and Skye. I especially enjoyed Ward "tricking" Simmons to climb up the tree.
-Peter MacNicol kind of looks like a grownup Iain De Caestecker (Fitz), or is that just me?
-I imagine that casting for all the villains must've been a fun day. Basically everyone's instruction was "again, by more intense".
-"And if Thor's in town, I'll introduce you." Nice dig Coulson.
-Has Coulson gone an episode yet without mentioning that he died? Let it go!

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Sal's Pizza"
This has solidified itself as my favorite new show of the fall. That has as much to do with it's quality as the shortcomings of everything else. I like the foodie aspect of Boyle's character. It is right in Joe Lo Truglio's wheelhouse. I love when Capt. Holt mentions his newsletter. It was a great use of Andre Braugher's deadpan. I don't think anyone was fooled by Linetti's behavior interviewing for the IT job. It's still a nice reminder that she knows what she's doing. I'd be ok if they toned down Santiago's uptight thing. That's getting old. So, Scully is Jerry Gergich, right?

New Girl "Longest Night Ever"
It's nice to have Cece back in an episode for more than a cameo. I'm already tired of her and Coach though. I think, in general, I'm a bigger fan of the show when no one in the main cast is dating, except for maybe Schmidt and Cece because jealous Schmidt is exhausting and there's no such thing as "just friends" Schmidt when it comes to her. I'm starting to think the show just needs to embrace that Winston is in his own show and let his go insane doing it. All the stories that have stuck with me the most for him (the job at the radio station, reserving the table, searching for a con**m) he is by himself. I think if the writers just embrace it, he can reach a whole new level of insane. This week was close to that. Nick was nice for the reactions but he was basically a non-factor.

The Mindy Project "Mindy Lahiri is a Racist"
This was certainly the laugh out loud funniest episode I can think of. The midwives are in full villain mode, and the ways Schulman & Associates handle it are all hilarious. People pointing out all of Mindy's casual racism is a nice twist, given that she is the only of the doctors of color. All the things about the midwives that set Danny off are hilarious, like getting angry they don't know Yankee players. Jeremy turning on his own practice, especially after it was revealed he's from South Africa was great. I didn't see it coming at all when Peter realizes he was thinking about a different guy when he almost meets the politician. I'm going to have to start a spreadsheet off all the guest stars on this show. This week, we add Jenna Elfman and Missi Pyle to it. The past two weeks have me really excited that they may have finally figured this show out.
Oh, I almost forgot. The opening tag had me laughing all the way through the opening credits. I pretty much knew how it would play out but that didn't stop me from finding it hilarious.


I don't know where I'm supposed to mention this, but for anyone who watched the ABC Wednesday shows on TV, those crossover Target commercials with Sue, Danny, and the dog from Modern Family were delightful. I'd like more shows to have these. I don't care if it is kind of lame.

The Middle "Thanksgiving V"
Favorite Line: "You know, this is the kind of thing you might want to share with a blood relative." -Mike
You can always rely on a good holiday episode from The Middle. The fact that they number each holiday episode goes to show how often they do them. Probably more often than any show I can think of. I always welcome more Jack McBrayer on my TV, so that was nice. I don't really remember the sister-in-law at all. She was a little over the top but I like being reminded that the Hecks are virtually the normal ones in their family. I like the apathetic reverse psychology that Mike uses on Axl, although I'm still confused how he can keep his scholarship if he isn't a full-time student. I'm sure they'll address that in some way. As sad as it makes me to see the family continuing to shit on Brick, I'll like that he took things into his own hands and made that disgusting casserole.

Back in the Game "Color Barrier"
Money is tricky. Even in TV shows, seeing a story about the disparity between friends makes me uncomfortable. It is handled about as well as it could be this week and I love the way that Terry and Gigi make up. I find myself less annoyed by the stories with Danny and the team than I expected. I didn't see the end scene with Dick and David coming at all. The show has done well by Dick so far. His douchiness was dialed all the way down and we get a nice, personal scene between him and his son.

Modern Family "ClosetCon '13"
Fantastic Apollo 13 spoof. I've must get that out of the way now. Occasionally Modern Family works too hard to setup a joke and the end result is muted because we can see too many of the strings at work (Ex. "We love the F word"). In this case it all comes together fairly perfectly from Phil's dad having to help via Internet because he doesn't live there and Gloria, Alex, and Haley watching from the security system computers. Jay has a known love for models and toys like this. Wonderfully done. I wasn't wild about Claire and Jay at the conventional, but it was more filler than detriment and setup for a great tag at the end about Phil's phobias. Cam and Mitchell were more of a mixed bag. I've always found Farm Cam to be overbearing but for some reason city vs. farm bickering is about the only type that I like between Cam and Mitchell. Lily continues her covert MVP ways as well by adapting to farm ways quickly. Overall, definitely a case of one story more than making up for the deficiencies of the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment