Sunday, November 3, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Sleepy Hollow

The Pitch: Tim Burton. Johnny Depp. Sleepy Hollow. I'm pretty sure they could've sold a studio on this movie before there was even a script (granted, that wasn't the Billion dollar combination then as it is now)

What Took Me So Long: Technically I was in the room while it was on many years ago. In hindsight, I remembered so little about it, that I might as well have never seen it at all.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) When someone says "Tim Burton is directing a movie called Sleepy Hollow", this is exactly what you'd expect. It's weird, dark, and morbid but in a light-hearted almost whimsical way. From what I remember of the Sleepy Hollow story, I'd say this was a very liberal adaptation of it, which is for the best because the source doesn't have enough for a movie. Depp is very comfortable in a role like this and I've always thought Christina Ricci is a great fit for anything Tim Burton does (I think she'll forever be chased by Casper and The Addams Family).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: You almost with Burton hadn't gone after this. It is such a potentially chilling tale. This version seems so disposable and the results of the actual investigation are old hat. I enjoyed this, but not enough to carry it around with me for all that long.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment