Friday, November 8, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

The Pitch: People keep thinking this movie is about dinosaurs. We might as well give 'em just that.
What Took Me So Long: I thought having not seen the second movie would hurt my understanding of it. Silly me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) The foreign box office goes insane for these movies. I'm not really sure why. Most animated movies have a much harder time in foreign markets but this did over 3/4 of its business overseas. I get how something like Kung-fu Panda would do well due to to obvious foreign appeal. I suppose the lack of explicitly an American setting in the Ice Age movies helps make it more marketable, but this was breaking box office records in some markets. I suppose people like dinosaurs. Can that really be enough?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: You may have noticed that I've said nothing about the movie. That's because it's the same as the first two, only slightly different. Good message about friendship and family. A lot of broad humor for the kids with a couple that might land on an adult. Largely, a painless family film, this time, with dinosaurs.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment