Saturday, November 23, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Sleeping with the Enemy

The Pitch: It's like a Lifetime movie on the big screen.

What Took Me So Long: I've never shared America's love affair with Julia Roberts. She's fine. Hardly a draw for me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) A good psychological thriller is worth the hunt, so I am ready to sift through the lesser ones to reach a good one. I liked how much time this spent at the beginning to show Laura's life before fleeing. Most movies would opt to use a series of flashbacks (think Safe Haven), but I think that knowing the threat early made it tenser overall. It was surprisingly quiet in terms of dialog as well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Again, here is a case where I'm not sure if this was the movie that started a trend or another example of a common plot, because I've seen a more interesting version of this story on SVU. If this is the first of its kind, then bravo, this is a great story structure. If it is another derivative version, then eh, I've seen better. Also, why does the evil husband have to be OCD? On more than one occasion I find myself siding with him. He just wants some god damn order in the house.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment