Thursday, September 12, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Safe Haven

The Pitch: Well, there's this Nicholas Sparks book. It's kind of like the other Nicholas Sparks books but just different enough to make a new movie.

What Took Me So Long: I didn't want to see it in theaters. Otherwise, it's not possible for me to see it much sooner.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I really think I'll have to take the Edmund Hillary approach to this and say "because it was there." I like Josh Duhamel. He's got that pretty boy persona that he could do some interesting things with if he let's himself (See: Matthew Mcconaughey). Julianne Hough, honestly, is a pretty face. She can maybe grow in to a good actress, but she isn't there yet. The cast thins out real quick after that. The twist with Colbie Smulders being the dead mother is a clever enough choice that I'll opt not to examine it too much.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is a big budget Lifetime Movie to an almost comical degree. I couldn't take this seriously as a feature film, although I realize that that could be said by others about a lot of movies I see in theaters, so I won't harp on it too much. I am a little weirded out by Duhamel and Hough's age difference. I assume she is meant to be playing older than she actually is because everything about this struck me as schtupping the nanny.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment