Saturday, September 14, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Doc Hollywood

The Pitch: A hotshot city doctor on his way to California get stuck in a country town. Basically, it's the template for the show Hart of Dixie except I added the word "shot".

What Took Me So Long: Honestly, it was a reference that I understood conceptually for years, but I always thought it was a TV show, not a movie.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There was a period in the early 90s it seems, when the city-to-country, fish out of water story was very popular. I think that it peaked with My Cousin Vinny. This movie is certainly an enjoyable entry though. It's fun to be reminded of how much fun Michael J. Fox was, you know, before he got the shakes*. I was in the middle of Gilmore Girls when I watched this and basically went into small town charm overload. My favorite part is the pig. I think that's fair.

*He's still fun, but there's there's always a nervousness watching him now.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: You have to be a mighty surly person to find something to hate in this. I doubt I'll ever watch it again or anything, but really, what is in this that could be worth hating? A little sidebar I'd like to add: How the  did this movie get a PG-13 rating with a very explicit topless scene of Julie Warner. Given the strict enforcement of that kind of stuff we see now, I'm shocked when movies like this or Titanic or especially, PG-rated Sixteen Candles manage to sneak by. Yet another reason to be annoyed by the MPAA.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment