Friday, September 27, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Katy Perry: Part of Me

The Pitch: It worked for Miley and Bieber, why not Katy?

What Took Me So Long: Considering I don't think anyone expected me to watch this ever and it came out last summer, I don't think "so long" is an appropriate question.

Why I Saw It: Fuck you! I like Katy Perry. I was in the mood for a documentary and didn't feel like one about how the world is going to shit or how corn syrup will kill us all. A more analytic reason I could give is that I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Justin Bieber documentary a while back and wanted to compare this one. Her origin story is a somewhat interesting one in that she was banging around for years before shooting to fame. It helps the story too that they filmed this while her marriage was falling apart. That kept it interesting. Frankly though, I like her music well enough and the concert footage is a pretty impressive production so that stuff kept it from getting stale.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Her story isn't as interesting as Bieb's. His YouTube-infused rise to fame is really different. Perry basically bounced around a couple studios until one gave her a chance. It was surprising how little they had to say about "I Kissed a Girl" and how that blasted her to superstardom. Basically, "she chose the single and you know the rest" is the full story. This movie isn't intended to be masterful storytelling though. It was effective in all the ways it needed to be.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment