Monday, September 2, 2013

Movie Reaction: Blue Jasmine

Formula: Young Adult + Woody Allen


Why I Saw It: I've never seen a Woody Allen movie in theaters. I figured I should rectify this sooner than later.

Cast: Cate Blanchett is at her most detestable and plays it wonderfully. I don't think it's possible to be actively rooting for her by the end of the movie. Every one of her instincts is wrong and she is a burden at best for everyone around her. Sally Hawkins plays her less-cultured sister. Their dynamic is understandably nuanced. She comes off much more like the protagonist but still has a lot of flaws. Alec Baldwin plays a grounded, dishonest Jack Donaghy which is beginning to be what he's known for. Bobby Cannavale is a lovable oaf with some anger issues. Andrew Dice Clay of all people shows up playing, well, whatever character you'd expect him to be. Louis C.K. even has a small part played very much within his range (or maybe it would be better to say "comfort zone").

Plot: It's all about following the conceited ex-wife of a Bernie-Madoff type character who has to move in with her sister in San Francisco. The whole time it is cut with flashbacks that show how she got there. Every decision she makes is the wrong one and most of the humor that is in this is through the discomfort she creates in situations. Mostly though, it is more of a drama and it is impressive how similar it really is to Young Adult in a lot of ways except it's with a divorcee.

Elephant in the Room: Didn't Woody Allen just have a movie last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc.? Yeah. He keeps up one hell of a pace with movies. With one like this, I have to wonder what it would look like if he had a little more time. I liked the movie a good deal throughout, but the ending is a little empty. It just sort of happens. I love that Allen has such a large back log of movies, but sometimes, with a movie like this, I start wondering if we've been cheated on some greater final products.

To Sum Things Up:
I liked this but I don't regret waiting to see it. Had the release schedule been more crowded, I'd be likely to wait for video release for this. Good acting. Good dialogue. Questionable ending. Fits perfectly in the Woody Allen filmography.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment