Monday, September 30, 2013

Movie Reaction: Rush

Formula: Days of Thunder + Formula One Racing


 Why I Saw It: I always want to like Ron Howard movies. This one is getting solid reviews and despite my lack of interest in Formula One racing, the story sounded interesting.

Cast: You'll see at the end of the movie how well cast Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl for how much they actually look like the people. They do a great job playing the ying to the other's yang. Hemsworth is a likable party boy who races for the thrill. Bruhl is an asshole who is very good at what he does. It is immediately clear why they don't like each other (and why they come to respect one another) which is what matters the most in this. Olivia Wilde is sadly cast as a pretty face. She gets a couple scenes but is featured far less than the previews suggest. Alexandra Maria Lara plays Bruhl's wife and she's probably the third lead in this, but it's a steep drop after the two racers, understandably.

Plot: First of all, this does a very good job letting people know what they need to about Formula One racing. For as little as I knew or cared, I was rarely confused. More importantly, the rivalry and the characters built made my lack of interest in Formula One racing insignificant. It follows both racers from when they first began on the circuit primarily focusing on the 1976 season. Bruhl's Niki Lauda narrates the movie but it stays neutral about the two racers. If anything, Lauda is harshest on himself. The character proudly admits all his perceived flaws (He doesn't want to be liked because he'd rather be feared. He's arrogant because he's better). Hemsworth's Jon Hunt is selfish and irresponsible. It is clear that he is a liability to everyone around him, on and off the track. The movie is design a little more to make people root for Hunt because, well, he is the likable one. That doesn't mean Louda is the villain though. In fact, he becomes the more sympathetic character by the end. It's a well-balanced movie.

Elephant in the Room: I don't like Formula One racing. I don't like Nascar. There's nothing for me here. Stop being ignorant. Horse racing isn't my preference but I loved Seabiscuit. Baseball's not my game, but I'm not heartless, so Field of Dreams moved me. This is a movie about a rivalry that drives excellence and what drives people to succeed. The fact that it is a racing movie just means it'll be loud and have slick shots of fast cars occasionally.

To Sum Things Up:
I enjoyed this movie a lot. I checked off every box for what I'd expect and hope for in the movie, from a good story, strong acting, accomplished direction, tight sound editing (whatever that means), and all those other good things that people like in movies. It may not top any lists but it might make my top ten when all is said and done. Do yourself a favor and see it, unless you are going to see Gravity instead, or Captain Phillips, or Carrie...Boy, October is looking good.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment