Wednesday, September 4, 2013

DVR Purge: 8/28-9/3

 Did Burn Notice take the week off or was last week's episode the last before a hiatus. I swear to god, this better not be my DVR getting back at me for some perceived ill.
By the way, I finally watched Rectify which has been sitting in my DVR for weeks. That show is excellent. If you are considering watching it, do so. It is well worth your time. Because of that and I'm getting tired of using Breaking Bad pictures every week (step it up Wilfred), I'm using a Rectify picture for this purge.


Past Purges


The Bridge "Vendetta"
-So, was the scene with Matthew Lillard at the beginning supposed to be a flashback? I assume it was, meant to build confusion about why the victim pretended not to know him.
-How old is Gus supposed to be? I know he is two young to seriously expect to date Sonya, but how far out of his league is she? Criminally, or simply socially irresponsibly?
-Anyone else more than a little disappointed by who the killer is? For all that build up, I was hoping it would be someone with something to say. Not a cuckold.

Wilfred "Heroism"
A bit of a forgettable episode until the end. Then, wow. Jenna jumps Ryan. I didn't see that coming as much as I probably should've. As much as I like Ryan and Wilfred and having them as the only constants keeps the show cheap and all that, I do enjoy when we see more of the side characters like we did this week.

Breaking Bad "Rabid Dog"
This was a necessary episode for the season, but it certainly was my least favorite. I should make it clear we're talking about the difference between a 9 out of 10 and a 10 out of 10, so, still pretty great. A great episode for Jesse. I would love it if his full confession video was recorded and put on the site as a webisode or special feature on a DVD. That would be asking a bit much I realize. RJ Mitte had a great scene with Walt that makes me a little sad he never got a bigger role. Hank handled Jesse a lot better than he did Skyler when faced with building the case against Walt, but still seems outmatched.
As for the parts that rubbed me the wrong way: 1) I hate perfect timing. I understand the purpose of it for establishing timelines when dealing with time jumps, but it comes off as lazy writing. I hold Breaking Bad to higher standards than Walt missing Hank and Jesse by a matter of seconds. 2) Walt has to be able to come up with a better lie than the gas station pump one. I mean, Skyler still probably wouldn't've believed him, making this a stupid thing to be picking on.
Overall, the momentum keeps moving the show along and I continue to have no idea how we catch up to his 52nd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment