Saturday, September 7, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Adventures of Tintin

The Pitch: Let's make a movie about Tintin...You don't know Tintin? Oh, you must be American. Trust me. It'll do wonderfully in Europe.

What Took Me So Long: Even when its Spielberg, I'm not likely to be in a hurry to see an animated movie, especially Belgian characters.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I kept hearing very good things about this, critics talking about the purity of it and the sense of fun and adventure. I suppose that's all true. The movie is straightforward in its intent. There's a lot of movement to it and looks great. It is made with Tintin novices in mind, which was nice, because all I had to go off was faint memories of the Tintin show on Nickelodeon that came on after Eureeka's Castle in the 90s. I'd say it remained true to the spirit of that.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ultimately, I think this movie hinges on how much you already do or do not love Tintin. While I appreciated the quality of the production, I honestly didn't care one bit about the character Tintin, or Captain Haddock, or Thomson and Thompson. I loved Snowy the dog. He's a dog. How could I not? I think this movie relies to some extent on nostalgia that I don't have. It wasn't bad or anything. I simply didn't think it was anything special either.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment