Sunday, September 1, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Enemy of the State

The Pitch:  Here's what I image. Tony Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer are sitting in a room. Jerry says, "Tony, I really want to produce a movie about a whistle-blower on the run. Will Smith owes me a favor, so if you can find a script for this, I'll make sure he's in it." And, Tony tells him "J.B." (I assume he goes by initials, not his name. It sounds more Hollywood like that) "I just heard about computers and Gene Hackman still owes me a favor, so if you let this movie be about that as well, I'll make sure he is in it." Then, they shook hands, smoked a Cuban cigar, and laughed about poor people. At least, that's how I assume deals in Hollywood are brokered.


What Took Me So Long: You may be noticing a trend here, but I always confused this with U.S. Marshals, so I was never sure which movie I hadn't seen.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Will Smith, Jon Voight, Gene Hackman, Lisa Bonet, Regina King, Jack Black, Jamie Kennedy, Jason Lee, Gabriel Byrne, Anna Gunn, with Tony Scott Directing and Jerry Bruckheimer producing. They even got a Busey. Frankly, I'm not sure why I hadn't seen this sooner. It's a little eerie how topical this is now with all the news about the NSA coming out. Despite that depressing real life connection, this is a fun thriller that has all the necessary beats without too much of the sloppiness and plot inconsistency that tends to ruin many of this kind of movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Beyond some nightmares about the NSA following me, none. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment