Friday, September 13, 2013

2013 Emmy Preview: Creative Arts Emmys

It's that time of year again. The Emmys are upon us. However, unlike most years, this is a very busy time for TV with the series finale of Dexter and the penultimate episode of Breaking Bad happening during the show. How stupid is that? Breaking Bad could win best Drama (I'll get to that in a few days) while it is on. I must say, I'm not happy about this.

Now, I realize the Emmys are meaningless or at the very least not a final say in any matter, but they are fun and when they get it right, I feel good. This year is looking like a strange year in that I'm not sure what's happening in a lot of the categories.

As a casual observer* may notice, this year, the Emmys have come with little fanfare from me. I forgot to post any kind of initial thoughts of the nominees and couldn't find any sort of list to compile from previous years. Maybe that means by next year I won't feel the need to say anything at all about the awards (doubtful).

*Let's be frank. Do I have anything but casual observers on this blog?

This year though, I still have the wherewithal to at least make a few picks. Since the Creative Arts Emmys are a week before, there's a few picks I'd like to post now. I want to make it clear that even more so than the hit or miss nature of my Emmy night picks, the following selections are major shots in the dark. If I get a third of these correct I'll be pleased, but I think it's clear that the point of this is more about the why of my picks than the what.

A quick run down of how this works: I've ordered each category from most to least likely to win, in my eyes. I've also noted my personal favorite to win and who I think was the most worthy overlooked potential nominee for most categories.



Reality Program 
Undercover Boss - Last year's winner looks like the favorite to repeat due to inertia.
Deadliest Catch - Former winner, although that win did come the year it featured the tribute to the cast member who died, I believe.
Shark Tank - I've never met a person who watches this, but I think its nearly-reality competition setup might be enough to sneak a win.
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives - I've never heard of this show so I don't know where to place it. A good show has won before (Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution in 2010) but I don't think this has the same brand appeal.
[My Favorite] Mythbusters - The nerd's choice. Sadly, I think the buzz has quieted too much on this.
Antiques Roadshow - By far the most nominated series (every year since 05), logic would say it can't possibly go an Angela Lansbury amount of time without a win, right?


Variety Special
The Kennedy Center Honors - This has dominated over the past 4 years. That should be more than enough to earn preemptive favorite status.
Mel Brooks Strikes Back: With Mel Brooks and Alan Yentob - Historically, who a Hollywood icon has a special, he or she wins a lot (see Don Rickles - 2008, Tony Bennett - 2007, Elaine Stritch - 2004)
[My Favorite] Louis C.K.: Oh My God - Emmy voters love Louie and who is to say how far he can ride that.
12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief - Emotionally, it's hard to vote against a relief concert but so far, only 2002's America: A Tribute to Heroes has come away with a win.
Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday - As much fun as these are, they never win.


Guest Actor - Comedy
[My Favorite] Justin Timberlake (Saturday Night Live) - He is a two time winner for hosting SNL and this was a strong episode for him.
Louis C.K. (Saturday Night Live) - Again, Emmys love Louie right now. I don't think his hosting was a great showcase for him, but when has bad acting ever stopped someone from winning here.
Bob Newhart (The Big Bang Theory) - It isn't unheard of for this to be the "TV Icon returns" award (See Tim Conway - 2008, Gene Wilder - 2003, Mel Brooks 1999).
Nathan Lane (Modern Family) - Modern Family keeps getting nominees here. Never a win. And, with a drop in nominations for the series, I doubt this will swing in its favor.
Bobby Cannavale (Nurse Jackie) - He is a former winner in this category for Will & Grace in 2005. I don't watch This show, so I can't say I know where to place him.
Will Forte (30 Rock) - 30 Rock has 14 nominations in this category over 7 years and only one win.


Guest Actress - Comedy
[My Favorite] Melissa McCarthy (Saturday Night Live) - This is a tough to predict category, but people love her, she was a great host, and has an Emmy already for a much more questionable performance.
Melissa Leo (Louie) - Honest to god, I thought Parker Posey was an absolute lock not only to get a nomination  but to win this for her work on Louie. Leo was great as well though and I won't pretend her Oscar won't influence voters.
Kristen Wiig (Saturday Night Live) - Hey, she got a lot of nominations when she was a regular on SNL. Never a win though, so I'm not expecting that to change.
Elaine Stritch (30 Rock) - Former winner here and perennial nominee who got the rare dramatic scene in 30 Rock. Having said that, I'm thinking of moving her up on the list.
Dot-Marie Jones (Glee) - Another one of those repeat nominees who probably missed her chance.
Molly Shannon (Enlightened) - I've heard nothing but rave reviews about this season and Shannon in it. I can't see the Emmys appreciating what the show does, sadly.


Guest Actor - Drama
Michael J Fox (The Good Wife) - Former winner on a different show (Rescue Me - 2009) and a regular nominee with a shelf full of Emmys in comedy (Lead Actor 1986, 1987, 1988, 2000). Most of all, I think he is back on people's radar due to his return to series this year in the Michael J. Fox Show.
Rupert Friend (Homeland) - I could see this episode winning everything it touches.
Nathan Lane (The Good Wife) - He does get a lot of nominees for guest roles (1995, 1998, 2011, and twice this year). Yet to get a win.
Dan Bucatinsky (Scandal) - A buzzy show that I don't think will translate to Emmy success.
Harry Hamlin (Mad Men) - 31 Acting nominations for Mad Men over 6 seasons and not a single win. I'm not betting for it to break that streak now that it is in the twilight of its Emmy glory.
[My Favorite] Robert Morse (Mad Men) - At least Hamlin is something new. Morse has proven that he can't get Emmy love even though he did have a much more useful season this year.


Guest Actress - Drama
Jane Fonda (The Newsroom) - I feel like the words "Jane Fonda" are probably enough to seal this.
[My Favorite] Linda Cardellini (Mad Men) - Then again, maybe it'll take a guest acting category for Mad Men to finally sneak in an acting win.
Diana Rigg (Game of Thrones) - Maybe they don't see GoT as the Peter Dinklage show.
Margo Martindale (The Americans) - I have no reason to think she won't win other than the complete lack of support the show has elsewhere in the nominations.
Joan Cusack (Shameless) - She keeps getting nominated (although she really is a supporting character) but the Emmys would rather pretend the show doesn't exist.

There's a lot of other categories here. Quite frankly, I couldn't even fake making a pick for Outstanding Sound Editing  in a Multi-Camera Series, so I won't try.

More in the coming days...

No comments:

Post a Comment