Wednesday, September 25, 2013

DVR Purge: 9/18-9/24

Yep. New shows are back and apparently, Tuesday will be the killer. With any luck, I'll be getting this switched back to twice a week. One thing I am almost certain of is that I'm not likely to keep these for Wednesday.
 

Past Purges

The Bridge "Take the Ride, Pay the Toll"
First of all, that title makes me think of the "Troll toll to get in that boy's soul" from It's Always Sunny, so I keep giggling about this episode because I'm apparently 10 years old. I'm assuming that Hastings' master plan has played out now and I could not be more underwhelmed. Sure, he did kill Gus which is a punch in the gut for the series. He will be missed. The way that he shrunk down to nothing when his grand scheme was foiled by Sonya shooting Marco was pathetic. I'm leaving room to believe the writers still have a trick or two up their sleeves but this continues to play out in ways that I am not interested in.

Breaking Bad "Granite State"
Walter White, you prideful bastard. I'm back to not being sure how this ends. There's not enough time. There's never been enough time. How to this end in a single episode, super-sized or not? I've never been able to leave the Walter White team. I'm still rooting for him although scared to examine the reasons too closely why I don't see him as as much of a monster as I should. Then there's Jesse. I am hoping for something huge from him in the last episode. Killing Andrea is as cold as it gets. And the near escape. I knew he wouldn't escape, not on the first try. It still killed me a little on the inside when they catch him. Skylar too, and Marie, and Flynn. So many characters have to get their ending. I am so incredibly excited to see how this all plays out.

HIMYM "The Locket"
I think I'm going to like the Mother. I get the feeling that she is meeting all of the cast before Ted and so far, she did well with Lily, getting along quite naturally. I hope she is in every episode in some way. Her origin story is one of the things I'm most interested to see.

HIMYM "Coming Back"
Neither episode was great but they are giving me exactly what I want from the season: the Mother. This one gave me something better: the Mother and Ted together. That alone is enough to say this is one of the better episodes in a while. I'm way more excited for this season than the show has earned after the past few years, but I don't care. As for all non-Mother storylines, they are really trying to make Barney and Robin seems like a good couple and I'll buy it because I'm tired of picking at things. Oh, and I was quite tickled by "the Kennedy Package".

Mom "Pilot"
Holy crap. Lay of the laugh track for, like, 2 seconds. My god, so much canned laughter. I get that multi-cam shows are going to use a laugh track and they'll use it a lot, but this was outright distracting. I'm happy to give the show a few more episodes for cast alone. I'm not sure I can stick with it though if the laugh track is going to be so overbearing.

S.H.I.E.L.D. "Pilot"
You can really see all the Joss Whedon of it especially in Coulson and Skye. Hopefully Joss can stay involved enough to still see his fingerprints. This is far from a finished product. I think it has potential, like a cross between Fringe and NCIS and the structure is there to develop. I just hope the audience stays long enough for it to figure itself out. I would like to see as many Cobie Smulders cameos as possible.

Dads "Heckuva Job, Brownie"
...no. Just, no. If I watch this any longer, all it will be is hate-watching. I want to like it for Mull, Green, Song, Ribisi, but it is not good. Sorry.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "The Tagger"
This is still fleshing itself out. I'm really wondering how many non-serious crimes they can do before getting redundant. Granted, I realize the end game is by mid-season to not be focusing on the crimes. I though Andy Sandburg would annoy me as a lead more and he really doesn't at all. The cast is already starting to gel, so I'm excited about that.

New Girl "Jacooz"
-A big improvement from the premiere. This was like the Guest Star All Star edition of New Girl (Dreama Walker, Angela Kinsey, Brenda Song, Eva Amurri, Meredith Weaver are the ones I can name).
-They are also fleshing out Winston's over-pranking way more than I assumed possible. At least it's a consistent character though, so I approve...hesitantly.
-I'm not sure what was the bigger laugh, the guys singing "I believe I can fly" or cats loving Schmidt's nipples.
-While I'm on the subject of Schmidt. Oh god, I am immediately over this Schmidt "two dates" thing! Make it stop, please.
-Finally, I get it, Fox. New Girl is the Tuesday "hit", but that's a dick move causing the tags to get cut off at the beginning and end. Thankfully, I DVR the whole night.

The Mindy Project "The Other Dr. L"
Things that I enjoyed from this week: 1) The whip cream bikini fail. 2) The use of "I'm Shipping Up for Boston". 3) The Kris Humphries cameo and Mindy's continued infatuation with NBA players. 4) Bill Hader's keeping himself busy. 5) They gave us the right amount of James Franco.

Trophy Wife "Pilot"
I think I'll stick with this for a while. It wants to thrive in chaos and has the pieces there to do it successfully. This is the most I've liked Malin Akerman in anything and I'm always happy to see Bradley Whitford. Something I also noticed is how utterly female dominated the cast is and how refreshing that was. I'm hoping this goes the way of Modern Family's ratings, not Happy Endings'. Oh, they can drop the voice-over narration though, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment