Monday, September 23, 2013

Emmys 2013: Post-Mortem


I've pretty torn about this year's Emmys. There wasn't a lot to hate about it nor was there much to love. I wanted to do a standard 3, 3, and 3 breakdown of the Good, Bad, and Meh, like last year, but I mainly have a lot of Meh.

The Good

Veep
The second season season I thought was a major improvement for the series. My issue with Julia Louise Dreyfus winning is who it came at the expense of (in my opinion, there was no bad choice in that category). She and Tony Hale had some of the best speeches and briefly had me thinking Veep could sneak in and take down Modern Family.

Breaking Bad
This was not the most deserving season of the show to win and I'd've picked something like Game of Thrones or [yet another] for Mad Men for the seasons, but I will not gripe about Breaking Bad getting all the recognition it can. Lord knows it will next year. And, Anna Gunn's win was awesome in another one of those categories with no wrong choice.

The Bad
 
Modern Family
It's an ok show. That's all I can say in its favor. If it was a quaint little forgotten show like The Middle, I'd probably appreciate it more. As this Emmy gobbling juggernaut, I'm quick to explain why it is not even one of the best six comedies on TV and wholly undeserving of the praise. Eventually it will lose. At least the acting wins fell to some other people. That was nice.

Choreography
What was this doing in the Primetime Ceremony? Cut this out, do  a single In Memoriam, maybe skip the tribute the 1963 and maybe some of the winners don't have to be played off and the show ends on time. Just a thought.

The Meh

Jeff Daniels
I can't speak for the season, but I can speak for submission episodes which is how these are chosen. Daniels won for the speech at the beginning of the pilot. That speech is as showy as it gets and as far as thesis statements for shows go, that's about as good as you get. Daniels is an actor who I love and fin it criminal that he isn't more recognized. Because of that, I can't be angry about him winning. It's hard for me to see how it was more deserving than Cranston, Lewis, or Hamm. As for Spacey, my theory was if the voters were going for a showy performance by a Hollywood type, he'd be their pick over Daniels.

The Colbert Report
I can't think of a more deserving 10 time winner than The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. For what little I've watched of any of the Variety nominees, it still would have my vote. If anyone was going to end the streak, it would be Stephen Colbert.

Homeland
"Q&A" certainly deserved the writing win [of the episodes nominated]. I think Patinkin  had a good claim to Supporting Actor. Claire Danes is nowhere close to relinquishing her title. I'm happy for the successes of the show but ultimately pleased it didn't take home the big prize.

30 Rock
It got its writing win, but it deserved a bigger night.

Louie
I love all the nominations. It was always a longshot to win anywhere it hadn't already. I just worry that it will only go down from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment