Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Legends of the Fall

The Pitch: Brad Pitt in The Last of the Mohicans except without the Mohicans


What Took Me So Long: It looked like it would be way too long for its own good.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Is it just me, or are there a lot of American frontier period pieces in the 90s? It seemed to start with Dances with Wolves, continue through Last of the Mohicans, get a bump with Legends of the Fall, and sputter out with The Cider House Rules with numerous movies in between. This one is perfectly fine. It's a little caught up in it's Oscar bait moments, but that comes with the territory, I suppose. Brad Pitt is always engaging to watch and even a disinterested Anthony Hopkins will demand one's attention on screen. On a personal note, I'm always more interested to see anything talking about WWI instead of WWII,

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Seriously, what's the point of this movie? It has something to do with Brad Pitt fighting a bear. I know that. There's a love triangle between Brad Pitt, his brother, and Julia Ormond, but then the grown Cree girl Pitt marries is killed and I'm supposed to care about that too. Oh, then there's Adrian Quinn's moonshining issues and the bizarro-world version of Pitt and his brothers: the O'Banion brothers. I certainly don't regret watching this the way I do many others, but I'm not sure why it exists.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment