Saturday, September 28, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Tucker: The Man and His Dream

The Pitch: The American dream as a car manufacturing drama.

What Took Me So Long: Until I saw this in my Club 50 list, I had never before heard of this movie in my life.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) You've got Francis Ford Coppola directing and Jeff Bridges as the lead. While neither are immune from making a bad movie, that's a good start. I was continually struck by how much this felt like the inspiration for both Seabiscuit and The Aviator (the latter more than the former). It's an earnest movie and I respect that about it. Basically, Tucker has a dream for a better car and has to fight the people with the greater resources standing in his way. That's it and that's all it needs to be.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Ok, this is one of those cases where the supreme ignorance of people really bothers me. So, the enemy of this movie is the big three automakers who do everything they can to shut Tucker down. Now, I'm not trying to pretend that [since this is based on a true story after all] they weren't actually being douches about this and trying to hold him down, but the hammer they do it with is litigation. This movie is basically against good capitalism versus bad capitalism and you know what the bad capitalism is? Government capitalism, better known as, something that doesn't exist in an actual free market...sorry. I'm going to stop there.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment