Wednesday, September 11, 2013

DVR Purge: 9/4-9/10

One more light week before things start to get a little crazy.
 

Past Purges


The Bridge "The Beetle"
The show continues to have good performances. Sadly, the story is taking a turn into places I don't like as much. This master plan is proving to be far less brilliant than I'd expect. We'll see how this plays out although this major shift in tone and the nature of the conflict is not doing it for me. I have to credit the show for the biggest laugh of my week with the discussion of MILF though. That was funny and awkward and well played by Diane Kruger.

Burn Notice "Sea Change"
I feel so annoyingly cynical that I'm not at all invested in what is going on anymore. I hope Fiona doesn't die. That would be unfortunate. I'm having a lot of trouble with Michael switching allegiances at the bottom of the 9th like this. They've spent to long to establish that he is a CIA man and haven't done nearly enough with James to make me see why he would be able to tempt Michael so much.

Wilfred "Regrets"
This episode did a lot. Perhaps it was even overstuffed. Truth be told, I had no idea this was the finale, so when all sorts of shit starts going down, I wasn't ready for it. Ryan's dad dying is a little too convenient and I would've preferred some slower escalation of the recordings like finding out about it last week and resolving it this week or something. Everything with Jenna felt a little rushed too. In fact, there was a lot of movement to suggest that the season wasn't planned out extremely well so that had to maneuver to get everything to come to head this week. I'm definitely confused by the statue he finds, but it fits with how the show likes to end seasons.

Breaking Bad "To hajiilee"
I don't feel equipped to talk about this episode, plain and simple. It starts off pretty simply. Walt is at a major disadvantage not knowing that Jesse is working with Hank, making the return of Andrea and Brock pretty useless. Walt Jr. being star-struck by Saul is a funny reminder of who knows what. You know, in the long history of Walter White lucky breaks, finding Saul is perhaps the luckiest. Then, there's that entertaining little exchange with Huell, although I do have a little trouble believing he could be turned that easily. Minor quibble though. It wasn't a great stretch, so I don't care.
All this is pretty insignificant due to the events in this week's third act. Beginning with Walt's panicked race to the money stash, I don't think I breathed until I hit the closing credits. the amazing thing is that you kind of knew how this would play out as soon as Walt called the Aryans. I kept hoping that Walt would figure out that this was a trap (questioning the coordinates or realizing the picture is a fake). Then I hope that Walt would stay hidden. Most of all, I hoped the Aryans wouldn't show up. Why did Hank have to take his sweet time. The second he made that call to Marie, he was doomed narratively. As much as I wanted to see what would happen next, I hoped the episode would end in the stalemate so I could spend a week looking for a way for Hank and Gomez to make it out of this. I suppose it is still possible they survive, but they won't. Phenomenal episode. I can't imagine them topping the intensity of the shootout, although I always say that about Breaking Bad and they always find a new way to top themselves. I can't wait to see what happens next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment