Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Shine

The Pitch: It's a biopic about a crazy guy - AN IT CAN WIN OSCARS.

What Took Me So Long: This never struck me as one of those interesting biopics.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Anytime a performance gets an Oscar it triggers my interest since I'm seeing what is supposedly the best thing that year. I agree, Geoffrey Rush is quite good in this. He gets all the fun of playing a mental illness without having to do retarded, which has go to be refreshing.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Rush is barely a lead in this. So much of the movie is about him growing up that young David is virtually a co-Lead. I'm not sure what in this I haven't seen before. Looking at when it was released versus when, say, A Beautiful Mind was, it's possible that, in context, it was fresh and new at the time, but to me, watching it now, it was overly familiar.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment