Thursday, November 21, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Saw

The Pitch: Clever torture with some sort of plot around it.

What Took Me So Long: I don't handle super violent movies will and this is the poster child for them.

Why I Saw It: I want to get better at handling violence in movies and the only way to do that is to watch. Also, with most horror movies that yield numerous sequels, the first generally does something special. The twists in this movie are terribly clever. Even the ones that should've been obvious (anytime you cast Michael Emerson, be suspicious) got me. I was thankful that the movie followed what was going on outside the room too. I always had the impression that it was one of those small horror movies that takes place in small confines which is tough to pull off.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The violence wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Still not for the squeamish though. A couple beats do play as horror movie tropes, so it wasn't perfect. I can already see how the next installments in the series will probably drop the ball. Eventually, I'll see if I'm right.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment