Thursday, August 1, 2013

August Preview

I thought July was going to be a slow month. Then, that last week happened and everything seemed to expand to Louisville right when I had a week off. I swear. August is going to be a quiet month, In fact, it doesn't look like I'll be doubling up until the Christmas onslaught.

8/2
 Why can't she play?
The Lock: The Spectacular Now
Sundance is never going to run out of movies, is it? I'm nothing but excited to see this one, staring Shailene Woodley (who is great in The Descendants) and Miles Teller (who I've seen in a few things but have only really liked in Rabbit Hole). I only really know that it's sort of a high school romance movie but one that people like a lot. I still regret that I haven't gotten around to seeing The Perks of Being a Wallflower, so I will not let this one slip by me.
Odds I'll See It: 80%

In Consideration:
 I'm sure whatever just happened, it's a good thing.
2 Guns - I would've sworn this was directed by Tony Scott, you know, if it wasn't for the whole jumping off a bridge thing. Denzel Washington and Mark Walhberg look to be playing roles that they are comfortable with, but this just isn't a genre I flock to very often.
Odds I'll See It: 20%

I think this one's in Paris.
The Smurfs 2 - In it's favor is NPH, Jayma Mays, and a beloved franchise. Working against it is that none of those things got me to see the first one and I don't like seeing sequels if I haven't seen the original.
Odds I'll See It: 10%

8/9
Don't those things get tangled?
The Lock: Elysium
District 9 was a lot better than I expected and even though the social message that Elysium carries (soft of a 1% vs.the 99%) doesn't interest me nearly as much since the topic has be addressed a thousand times before, I do like Matt Damon and it's sure to be a stylish, good looking sci-fi thiller, so I'm pretty likely to see this.
Odds I'll See It: 75%

In Consideration:
I was worried they'd forget the token black friend.
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - I saw the first one and mostly took away from it the thought that I find it impossible to differentiate it from The Sorceror's Apprentice and that Pierce Brosnan is fully typecast in my mind as James Bond.
Odds I'll See It: 15%

 Based on the previews, I think this is the only part that's supposed to matter.
We're the Millers - This looks bad. I have no other way to say it. The preview tells me all I need to know. I like Jason Sudeikis, but for some reason, in movies, he always seems to need a strong supporting cast to elevate him. I don't particularly like Jennifer Aniston in comedies [movies] because she can suck the fun out. I feel like Emma Roberts is too big for the part she's cast in. I don't know. Despite my proclivity to see any comedy that's offered to me, I am in no hurry to see this at all, unless reviews come back surprisingly stellar.
Odds I'll See It: 8%

Oh 70s. What the hell?
Lovelace - Look,  I'm not going to be able to make any highbrow arguments for why I'd be seeing this. I'm almost hoping that its limited release prevents it from making it to me so I'm not tempted.
Odds I'll See It: In theaters, 10%, at some point, definitely strong

8/16

I don't know if I'd feel more or less safe hanging out in this group.
The Lock: Kick-Ass 2
I loved, loved, loved the first movie. The sequel looks to have a slightly different tone to it, but the cast is all back, save upgrading from Nic Cage to Jim Carrey and others so I have nothing but dark, hilarious, ball to the walls excitement to see this.
Odds I'll See It: 97% (I think a family member would have to die, a close one. for me to miss it)

In Consideration:
 Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire/
The Butler - If it looks like it's going to be a word of mouth hit like The Help, I could end up seeing it later in it's run when things dry up in September, but that's about the only way I will see Forrest Gump from the eyes of the White House butler.
Odds I'll See It: 13%

Sexy
Jobs - I assume this will be bad (or worse, unremarkable), but my curiosity to see Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs, which he was kind of born to play, may be enough.
Odds I'll See It: 20%

Based on the screenshots I've seen, I assume this entire movie takes place on this road.
Prince Avalanche - Hey, guess what? It's a another Sundance movie. Take away Paul Rudd's name in this and I wouldn't even be listing this 80's road worker movie on this list.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

8/23
 One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong.
The Lock: The World's End
I am not the fan of Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz that other people are, but I still like Edgar Wright's movies, the cast looks great (Simon Pegg, Bill Nighy, Rosamund Pike, Bilbo Baggins), and the plot, which as I understand is a bar crawl during the end of the world, sounds funny. Count me in.
Odds I'll See It: 82%

In Consideration:
 Good job Phil Collins. you did something right.
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - I won't be seeing this, but you never know. I liked Lily Collins in Mirror, Mirror and it could be fun to get in early on the next big young adult craze (then again, this won't be it).
Odds I'll See It: 7%

I would love to have a drink with them/
Drinking Buddies - Starring Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Anna Kendrick, and Ron Livingston. If this makes it to Louisville, there's a strong chance I'll see it for cast alone.
Odds I'll See It: 34%

8/30
The Lock: Oh no! The doldrums of September come a weekend early this year. With any luck, something will expand to my area so I don't have to see any of the new releases.

In Consideration:
 Selena Gomez: Thug Life
Getaway - Ethan Hawke as some sort of a skilled driver and Selena Gomez as some sort of hood team up to save his wife or something. And, this is the best of this weekend's offerings.
Odds I'll See It: <1%

No comments:

Post a Comment