Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bottom Comedy Movies of 2009

1. Land of the Lost
Bad bad bad bad bad movie. One of those that makes you question why you watch movies. I think I lost faith in god watching this movie. Will Ferrell and Danny McBride both play to their zaniness to a painful degree and it doesn't work.

2. All About Steve
Amazing that Sandra Bullock's movie after this won her an Oscar. I'm guessing this was either a massive paycheck or a favor for a friend.

3. Bruno
While I have issues with Sacha Baron Cohen and Borat gets so much of my hate, not as much carries over to Bruno because it feels so desperate.

4. Couples Retreat
So many funny people and a script that reeks of middle-aged desperation. It didn't have to be this bad, but it was.

5. Bride Wars
Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson are both great. The entire plot left so much to desire though. It felt like it was dug out of a pile of scripts from 1985 with the dated concept. And the jokes were sophomoric at best.


DISHONORABLE MENTION

Tyler Perry's Madea Goes to Jail / Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself
I won't watch these. I know what they are and why I don't like them. However, in fairness, I only give them dishonorable mention.

Year One
This movie didn't have to be bad. Sure, Jack Black is a kiss of death these days and Michael Cera hasn't proved he can do the heavy lifting in a comedic performance. One look at the list of supporting roles and cameos tells you what kind of people were involved. Yet, the script reads like someone took a steaming dump on the History of the World: Part 1.

Dance Flick
These parody movies are finally losing steam. If we keep ignoring them like this, maybe they will go away forever.

Old Dogs
I've said this before about Robin Williams family movies before. If it can't be enjoyed by all, it doesn't get a pass.


INCOMPLETE LIST

It's Complicated
Getting a major "Something's Gotta Give" vibe from this, except with a stronger overall cast. It's going for "adult funny" not adult-rate comedy, so I will have to prepare myself for that.

The Informant!
I worry this movie is one of those that will try too hard to get it's laughs. It looks good though.

Next Day Air
The preview looked pretty good. Beyond seeing it the one time on my Land of the Lost rental (I think), I haven't heard a single thing about it. Generally, that's a bad sign.

A Serious Man
Isn't there also one called "A Single Man" also with an acclaimed director? I don't know. I'll see it eventually.

In the Loop
Wikipedia describes this as a British satirical black comedy. Understandably, this has a limited audience, but the people who like it swear by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment