Thursday, August 15, 2013

Top Comedy Movies of 2003

1. Old School
I'm labeling this as the beginning of the Frat Pack proper. Dynamite performance by Will Ferrell before he because a force as a lead actor. Vince Vaughn doing some of his best work. Luke Wilson is surprisingly good as a conflicted straight man for the odd characters around him. The humor may not be for everyone, but it sure is for a lot of them. 

2. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Most non-comedy movies I've snubbed in my rankings. I make an exception here because what is this movie without Johnny Depp's mostly comedic performance? Not much. That's what separates the movie from being, say, Kingdom of Heaven. And honestly, "Why is the rum gone?" alone was enough to put it on the list.

3. Finding Nemo
One of the best movies that year. One of the best Pixar movies ever. One of the best family movies of the past decade or two. Also, really funny. I notice Ellen Degeneres does something every few years just to remind people she is the funniest woman alive then keeps a lower profile until we nearly forget that and comes back again.

4. Bad Santa
This Christmas movie edges out another on my list, mostly because the list was getting too family friendly. Raunchy, wrong, and ridiculous. Billy Bob Thorton doesn't give a damn better than just about anyone and flaunts it here.

5. Elf
You have a little Will Ferrell acting silly, Zooey Deschanel when she was still being cast as that sarcastic girl, Peter Dinklage as an angry little man, and Bob Newhart, you know, in the movie. PG fare doesn't get much better.

6. Bruce Almighty
I like that Jim Carrey takes a break from drama every once and a while to remind us how great he is comically. Morgan Freeman as god is a stroke of genius. A project for Jennifer Aniston to put in the win column (she should have more of those). Also, this marks the beginning of Steve Carrell's prominent career in movies.

7. Lost in Translation
Hmm, Bill Murray can be funny and poignant. Honestly, it's been too long since I last watched this. I'm probably rating it unfairly. I remember it being good though and I'm rating it so.

8. The Room
A movie so special, I added a #8 the ranking. This is beyond ranking in actuality. It's heartbreaking, genre-bending, over the top, riveting, messy, wild, and perhaps ahead of it's time. Rightly, the successor to The Rocky Horror Picture Show.


HONORABLE MENTION

Big Fish
This isn't a very funny movie. It's shot in a way that you have to smile and makes you think it's a comedy. It is more ridiculous than anything, but sheer good-will alone gets it some consideration.

Love, Actually
I really love this movie. Not even ashamed to admit it. I went back and forth on putting it in my top 7. It missed it by virtually the flip of a coin. No movie I can think of, balances so many stars so well, with so much heart, without feeling heavy-handed. 2003 was a great year for Christmas movies.

Bringing Down the House
I never liked this much. I think it had something to do with some distinctions it made about acting "white" or "black". I don't fully remember because I watched it once, got bothered by that, and have had no desire to watch it since. Enough other people I know like it, and since I accept the possibility of my fallibility, here it is, getting some consideration.

School of Rock
Occasionally Jack Black gets it right. Problem is, never as the sole lead. This is as close as he comes.

Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star
I wish the best for David Spade in his endeavors. Enough worked that I didn't hate it. That's all I can say in it's favor. There was a good use of former childhood stars.

Stuck on You
Stupid as shit movie. Are Greg Kinnear and Matt Damon even the same age? It doesn't matter. Cher takes a surprisingly comedic turn, for some reason deciding to be in this. Overall it has that same Dumb and Dumber quality that makes it endearing when it shouldn't be.

Down with Love
Either a poorly made movie or a brilliant parody of a specific style of movie (possibly both).

National Lampoon Presents Dorm Daze
I want to pan this movie. The acting is horrible, sure, but it has such an impressive script of intersecting stories, I must give credit where it's due.

Alex and Emma
Kate Hudson speaking in bad fake accents. Luke Wilson as an author in trouble with the mob and needs someone to dictate for him because...I still am not sure why. Flimsy at best. It's a cute movie and I enjoyed the telling of the story as different period pieces.

What a Girl Wants
This was going to be the start of a great movie career for Amanda Bynes. Who knew she'd never leave high school? Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment