Wednesday, August 21, 2013

DVR Purge: 8/14-8/20

This is getting bad. I have no idea how I will keep up with all the shows this fall. Four a week has been a chore. In October, there will be nights when I have four in an hour. This is going to be rough. Then again, there will be few shows I'll ponder as much as Breaking Bad so perhaps it will all even out.


The Bridge: "ID"-Sonya interrogating anyone is awkwardly hilarious. I want more of it. Kruger gets a fantastic range in this episode, from the painfulness of the questioning to the frustration when Gina is killed. Her character is growing on me a lot.
-I love a good montage of someone getting rid of an ungodly amount of booze. In my mind, I always start doing the math of how much that would cost and instantly regret doing that.
-What happened to the weird guy? I can't remember his name. I miss his nearly unintelligible accent. He didn't die last week and I totally forgot, did I? I hope not. This show has been punishing me for my split focus more than most.
-Bobby Cobb! I can't say I've seen Brian Van Holt in a lot of roles before but he's basically saying Bobby in this, right? Does he not have range or is this a conscious choice?

Burn Notice: "Things Unseen"I'm not about to go back and count, but I'd wager that more people have died this season than in the rest of the series combined. I don't know how I feel about that. It's not the Burn Notice I signed up for. This is getting noticeably darker which is not in the Burn Notice comfort zone. I supposed since we moved past "who burned Michael" as the big question (by the way, who did? I completely forget) they have to find new ways to up the stakes. Perhaps I just always assumed this show with go out with a whimper, not a bang. I mean, how do you end a procedural, even one that's a procedural/serial mix like this?
-Who is surprised that Fiona and...fuck it - I'm not even going to IMDB his name - broke up? No, no, no. Not everyone at once.

Wilfred: "Distance"This is a weird show. I continue my weekly waffling between wanting more or less mythology with this episode. I think I'm fine with the answer being both. Bruce returns.Ryan discovers something new on the picture. We find out about Mr. Floppy Ears. Those all mythology. But, most of the episode is about an escalating prank was between Wilfred and Ryan, complete with jokes about dogs responding to door knocks, dogs eating just about anything, including dog testicles, and neutering. All less mythology. In short, a nice balanced episode.
-I have to say though, I have no idea what that was on the picture that he found under the crayon.

Breaking Bad: "Buried"Let me start by saying, I never thought I'd say the words "Oh good, it's the Aryans." I like Lydia is the only person who makes Walt look like less of a neurotic badass. Both are effective at what the do. She is still quite shaky about it. It's good to see her and Todd making such fast friends.
-I sure hope we get a lot of Jesse next week. Based on the ending, I assume we will get just that.
-Such a fast hour despite so many tense and quiet moments. I mean, the scene at the diner...so uncomfortable -and long. I think I heard it was 6+ minutes and so brutal to watch. Skylar is devastated. Hank is not sure of himself.
-I like how Marie kept back-tracking through time to discover how deep Skylar is in this. Then the slap. Oh boy. Tension!
-Any scene with a Scrooge McDuck reference is certainly going to be my favorite in a given episode. I love that the threw in the reasoning for why they wouldn't consider stealing the money. The thought did cross my mind, but yeah, being an enemy of Walt's doesn't end well for people.
-I don't want to harp on things, so I'm only going to say this once and never mention it again. There is no way Walt could've dug those holes in that time. Whatever.
-Skylar wins some badass points for wanting to keep the money.



 Past Purges

No comments:

Post a Comment