Friday, August 23, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Eat Pray Love

The Pitch: Ms. Roberts wants a vacation and she doesn't want to have to pay for it.

What Took Me So Long: The title alone is nearly a punchline and I kept a healthy distance as a result.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I came in as a fairly blank slate to this. I knew it was Julia Roberts visiting places around the world and eating, and I knew there was some sort of Eastern spiritual angle to it. There's a whole lotta mid-life crisis going on here. It's greatest potential strength is it's complete lack of traditional structure. It's like they said, "We have two hours to fill between three countries. Fill the time as needed". So, that was different.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Unfortunately, I didn't find what they did with the lack of traditional structure all that interesting. The food wasn't nearly as enticing as I'd expect for that title. The prayer stuff inherently turns me off. The love part just got annoying because the movie wants a boy meets girl story and a story of Roberts' independence, tries to service both, and results in undermining each. Oh, and this movie was tortuously long. I didn't check the actual runtime, but if I had to guess, I'd say it clocks in at around 4 hours.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment