Saturday, August 24, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Vow

The Pitch: Let's make a Nicholas Sparks movie without bothering to use Nicholas Sparks.

What Took Me So Long: I thought it was a Nicolas Sparks movie and I had an unspoken embargo on those movies until recently.

Why I Saw It: I like Channing Tatum. I like Rachel McAdams. It's simple math as far as I'm concerned. The story is nothing new but it is effective. I'm still not sure why I enjoyed this more than similar movies. I do think it's telling that most of the way through the movie, when I realize that I'm liking it more than expected, I checked the IMDB page and found Jason Katmis' (showrunner for FNL and Parenthood) name attached to the script. It started to make sense after that.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: While I think the movie does a wonderful job touching on the topic of how much our experiences define us vs. how much of us is inherent, I do think the ending is a tad hasty to make things better in time for the happy ending. It's a pretty small gripe though. This movie is quite deep for what could've been a standard romance movie.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend (And I'm surprised about it too)


No comments:

Post a Comment