Thursday, August 15, 2013

Bottom Comedy Movies of 2007

1. Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? / Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls
I was wondering how long before the Tyler Perry movies start cracking my list. The thing I hate most about these movies is that it makes it look like I hate movies with black casts. In fact, I have no issue with black casts. It isn't even a cultural humor thing. I'll accept movies that I don't get where the humor is coming from. Tyler Perry's movies are like watching drama for amateurs and comedy for the lobotomized.

2. Norbit
Oh Eddie. Stop dressing up. Stop everything. I don't understand how you get in your way so often, but it's sad. You are a comedy heavy-hitter, but all you do these days is hit-bottom.

3. Epic Movie
Wow. A year in which one of these slips to #3. There were a lot of movies that went wrong this year. Why did Kal Penn and Jayma Mays sign up for this. Their careers were both doing pretty well. They didn't have to do it.

4. Evan Almighty
Any time you have a sequel that was made from a script that wasn't meant to be a sequel, there's going to be some issues. Granted, calling this a sequel is doing so in the weakest application of the word.

5. Wild Hogs
Same rule goes for the Grumpy Old Men genre as kid's movies. If you limit the appeal and humor to middle-aged men, then I'm not making an effort to find it funny.


DISHONORABLE MENTION
Five solid movies isn't enough for me to find? Sadist.


INCOMPLETE LIST

The Bucket List
Two actors I love doing a buddy comedy about dying (I'm guessing the theme is about "living life" though). There's potential here.

Balls of Fury
I'm guessing this goes to at least dishonorable mention, but I've not seen more than a preview, so I can't say for sure.

Reno 911!: Miami
I never loved the show, but it had it's moments. Supposing the movie has more "moments" than not, it could be pretty good.

I Think I Love My Wife
Chris Rock is kind of notorious for never being able to transfer his brilliance as a Stand-Up to lead of a movie success. Here's to hoping this would could be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment