Thursday, August 8, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Steel Magnolias

The Pitch: There's too many happy movies out there. Let's make a sad one with a lot of women.

What Took Me So Long: I couldn't tell the difference between this and Beaches so I opted to avoid both.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Sometimes you just have to find out why you've heard about a movie. This is certainly a famous movie that has stuck around in people's minds for over 20 years. I got the very real sense that I was not the target audience, which is fine. I liked that the movie seemed more concerned with building the world and characters than focusing on the plot. Frankly, I found Julia Roberts' character to be irresponsible and stupid. Sally Field's speech after the funeral, while annoyingly Oscar-baity was probably my favorite thing about the movie.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As I said, I was not the target audience. The southern accents were quickly grating and the looseness of it all went from charming to boring after a while. But really, not the target audience.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment