Saturday, August 10, 2013

Delayed Reaction: A Time to Kill

The Pitch: Pretty white people fix racism in Mississippi

What took me so long: I always missed it on TNT.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Mostly, because it's a Club 50 movie. There are other reason too, of course. The cast list reads like a checklist of 1996: Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Ashley Judd...a bunch of others. None of them rise above the material though. Except Spacey. That man can be a morally suspect pseudo-antagonist whenever he wants.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This movie is the opposite of 12 Angry Men. It's the story of an admitted murder getting away with his crime because of a sweet-talking lawyer. I fully believe everyone involved thought they were making some bold statement about race in America. Sadly, it's patronizing in its White Savior approach and when a movie makes it abundantly clear that the murderer (Jackson) was upset but fully aware of his actions, anything short of a guilty verdict is unconscionable, not something to be celebrated.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment