Friday, August 30, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Bean

The Pitch: British people love Rowan Atkinson. Let's see if America does too.

What Took Me So Long: British people love Rowan Atkinson. I can only enjoy him in a supporting role.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I tend to know what I will and won't like, but occasionally I like to be sure of it. I didn't hate Johnny English as much as I expected (in large part thanks to Robbie Williams' "A Man for all Seasons") so I thought that maybe I appreciated Atkinson's schtick more than I thought. He is certainly skilled at physical comedy and he has mastered this Bean character. I can't help but smile at how much he revels in the juvinility of it all.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Five minutes of Bean is pleasant. An hour and a half is exhausting. In general, I'm not as big a fan of squirm humor which a lot of this movie is.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment