Monday, August 12, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Step Up

The Pitch: Hey, remember Save the Last Dance? Let's do that again but throw in a dash of Fame.

What Took Me So Long: For a while, I took the stance that if I watched something from this franchise, it would be the one with my favorite name: Step Up 2 The Streets (since it can be read two ways).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Channing Tatum's stock with me has gone up tremendously in the past year so I had an opportunity to watch this and gave it a go. It was exactly what I thought it would be. It had everything this movie should have: dancing, star-crossed lovers, a young person being a victim to street violence, an authoritarian mentor, the best friends of the lead characters falling in love, a douchey ex-boyfriend,  a competition at the end. The beats are familiar, but it certainly falls under the category of "if it's not broke, don't fix it."

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The downside to a formula is that you are judged by how you tweak it and 5 months from now, if you give me a beat from this movie and ask me whether it is in this, Save the Last Dance, or some other dance school movie, I probably wouldn't be able to tell you which movie it belongs in. While entertaining enough to fill an hour or two it is a completely disposable movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment