Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DVR Purge: 8/7-8/13

It's back. It's back. It's back. It's back. Oh boy, it's back! Yay.

 Past Purges



The Bridge "The Beast"
We finally know what happened to Sonya's sister. I'm assuming that it doesn't play a larger part in things beyond explaining how Sonya ticks. I continue to be thrown off by how quiet the show is. Perhaps it's restraint. I'm not sure, but it still feels like this world is materializing. The serial killer is continually an afterthought when I talk about the show, so that's a good sign for long term sustainability.

Burn Notice "Bitter Pill"
I kind of want to go back and rewatch Burn Notice to see Madeline's transformation over the course of 7 seasons. There was a time when she was bumbling and nervous. They still play lip service to that here and there, but I couldn't see her leading the guy into an alley in season 1. To be fair, a large part of this comes from how used to needing a gun she's gotten. With the rest of the crew, all I can say is that the show has never been dynamic enough to actually make me worry about something like Fiona getting trapped in the fire. It would be a much different show if I did think she could be in danger and I'm not sure I'd stick with that show, but it gets hard to me to keep pretending the tension is there. I never doubted Michael would be able to save her. Regardless, we are running out of episodes and I want to know what the happy ending will look like.

Wilfred "Confrontation"
Holy shit. Kristen drew the picture! I can never tell how much of this the writers are making up as they go along, but this kind of makes sense. I know I've been saying I'd like for them to switch to some less mythology heavy episodes to restore balance. I retract that request. Next week needs to address this.

Breaking Bad "Blood Money"
With only 8 episodes left, I have no idea how they will cover the needed ground in time. If this episode is any indication, there won't be any quiet weeks. Where to begin...Let's start with the beginning. It's amazing how dilapidated the house has become in less than a year. I am a little confused about the Ricin. When they made it, it didn't seem all that difficult to make. What is so important about this capsule? I realized that it's a symbol now more than anything, but I wonder why it has been getting so much time and effort dedicated to it.
-Walt Jr. wasn't eating breakfast. What's up with that?
-I totally understand why Jesse is a mess right now. I am really hankerin' for him to switch to badass mode at some point. It's not a default setting for him, but hasn't he earned the right to lay a smack down on Walt by now?
-I'm having a hard time reading what Skylar and Walt's relationship is at this point. They are back to living and working together but she is definitely still pulling away from him, which is understandable. Her showdown with Lydia would've been the most awesome thing in this episode if not for a certain other showdown.
-Speaking of that showdown, oh my. I think back to the first season and can't imagine Walt being able to match up to Hank like that. The power balance seems to have shifted even with the cancer back. The really tragic part to this is that had Hank not pursued this, it looks like Walt would've been able to stay out of the game and finished his days on the straight and narrow. As it turns out, we don't have to ask ourselves how long Walt could suppress Heisenberg. It's been forced out of him and I don't think we'll be seeing much more Walt in the episodes that remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment