Thursday, August 29, 2013

Delayed Reaction: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of Dawn Treader

The Pitch: Well, there's still 5 books left in the series. Let's make another movie.

What Took Me So Long: I barely tolerated the one that was a box office smash, so this paltry third installment was not a priority.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I saw the other two in theaters so I'm already partially invested in the series. As follow ups to the Lord of the Rings go, this is one of the better ones and Disney certainly put the money into it to look good. The production has the levity one would hope for in an adventure franchise aimed at children. It was also nice to see a movie about one of the books I hadn't read when I was young.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is clearly the best regarded book in the series and a great story for a movie. Prince Caspian is a natural sequel with similarly high stakes and finishes off the story well for movies. Dawn Treader just feels like they are trying to keep the machine going without the resources to do so. It's a big mistake for the Pirates studio to do another movie so heavily reliant on sea travel because it makes this look so much worse by comparison. Also, there the whole "subtle" religious angle which never helps me to like something, but even without that, there's plenty to be underwhelmed by.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment