Sunday, August 18, 2013

Delayed Reaction: Meet Joe Black

The Pitch: Let's make a movie about life, death, love, and loss and make it long enough to beg for each.

What Took Me So Long: Every time I came across it in my Netflix queue, I saw that run-time and opted for something else.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Honestly, because I always confused it with The Talented Mr. Ripley and I figured if I watched one of them, that would stop happening (It didn't). I liked this movie despite itself. Brad Pitt is good, except for a ridiculous Jamaican accent that he pulls out. Anthony Hopkins, Claire Forlani, Marcia Gay Harden, and even Jeffrey Tambor in a more dramatic turn, are all perfectly fine in this. The beginning, middle, and end are all satisfying. It feels wholly original (ok, 90%).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's just so damn long. Needlessly long even. It's 3 hours long. And, it's not like a Two Towers kind of three hours. It's a "we fired our editor" three hours. This is needlessly long and it pretty dull. I want to note that I am not calling it bad though. I liked it, warts and all.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment