Thursday, June 26, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Talented Mr. Ripley

The Pitch: Matt Damon in Italy, impersonating and killing people.

What Took Me So Long: I always got this and Meet Joe Black confused which made me want to see both less.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Matt Damon is creepy in this. I never would've considered him as a sly villain type, but it's obvious that I should've. It is nice to see how ridiculously competent a conman he is. I was afraid this would be a story that relied greatly on luck but it was quite the opposite. Basically, he is a Hollywood sociopath done right for a change. Jude Law is smart casting as a rich playboy. Gwenyth Paltrow I liked more that I normally do. I know this is based on a book. Without having read the book, I'm going to go ahead an call this an excellent adaptation because this story is slick as hell.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is on the longish side. I'd expect anything in the 2.5 range to have a couple more twists and turns in it, but if that's the cost required to have a story with as few holes and realistic character decisions then I approve.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment