Saturday, June 7, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The One

The Pitch: Jet Li fights everyone, including himself.

What Took Me So Long: I wasn't a fan of this type of movie in 1985 or in 1994. So, it wasn't going to be different in 2001.

Why I Saw It: Jet Li is impressive at what he does. This isn't a very long movie and after a brief period of setup, the fights scenes are plenty.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: So, was the thinking that they would never find someone to match Jet Li fighting so they should have him fight himself? The biggest problem with the final fight between the two Jet Lis was that I spent the whole time focusing on how they were editing around it and couldn't appreciate the actual fight. That and all the gravity-defying moves called attention to the effects and muted how impressed I was by Li's actual skills. Romeo Must Die was a much better showcase. Lastly, I appreciate the attempt at a science fiction story and I imagine the words "Total Recall" were mentioned more than a few times during production, but it didn't engage me in the slightest way for this movie. Did they think this was the Highlander?

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment