Thursday, June 12, 2014

Delayed Reaction: White Fang

The Pitch: A story of a young man and his wolf, except they aren't really together much at all in the movie.

What Took Me So Long: I guess Jack London has never been a draw for me the way I'm told by society he should be.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Honestly, I'll watch any movie with a dog/wolf running around, doing stuff (preferably not talking. I'm looking at you Snow Buddies!), so this was in my wheelhouse. I'm going to have to give props to the shooting of the animal fights too. Until I saw the Humane Society stamp of approval at the end, I really thought they were getting away with some animal violence, especially in the dogfight scenes. I don't approve of the violence, but I can appreciate when it is well shot.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is billed as a story about a young man and his wolf buddy yet an awful lot of the movie is them apart. I won't pretend that I was invested deeply in the movie but I feel like I blinked and then the bonding time for Ethan Hawke's character and White Fang was over.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment