Thursday, June 19, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Inspector Gadget

The Pitch: Hey, we need a live action adaptation of something. What animated series are left?

What Took Me So Long: Occasionally, seeing a cartoon with live actors creates a refreshing new perspective. Other times, it highlights how much we need to not believe this is possible for it to work. Guess which one this is.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I don't know. It's barely 75 minutes long and I figured it couldn't hurt to watch something that made nearly $100 million at the box office. Matthew Broderick is an actor that I like in general.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I know he willingly signed up to this but I feel bad for Matthew Broderick as I watched this. Andy Dick was in this too. I should've known better. That is almost always a few strike against a movie. I spent the majority of time trying to figure out how he could have all those gadgets in his body. I couldn't help it. There's no way. And is he really even alive at this point. He's a robot, or rather, a cyborg. Honestly, what bothered me the most was all the winking at the camera. I get it. You know this movie isn't meant to be taken seriously. A couple times is fine but there were constant meta comments about being in a Disney movie, cartoon plausibility, and literally people looking into the camera (I don't recall any actual winks though, so there's that). That kind of breaking of the fourth wall needs to be handled judiciously and that was not the case here.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment