Sunday, June 8, 2014

DVR Purge: 5/28-6/7

This week, one Louie saga ends for another to begin, Fargo makes a big jump, and AMC introduces a new series that could be pretty good.


Past Purges 

Halt and Catch Fire "I/O"
I have no idea what this series is. Lee Pace as Joe MacMillan has an asshole Don Draper quality too him that I don't find that interesting yet. I could in time. For now, it's nothing more than Frank Underwood picking on people he's smarter than. I think Scoot McNairy's Gordon is supposed to be out eyes into this world and I need a little more back story for him to determine if I like that. Mackenzie Davis could either be very interesting or a lazy Girl With the Dragon Tattoo type. Kerry Bishe is looking like a wet blanket and not much else. This is likely to change because all I know is the pilot. It looks like every bit of advertising was about the pilot and I'm not sure where it goes from here. It all looks very litigious and technical. The episode by itself tells an intriguing enough story and asks a lot of questions that I'm curious to get the answers to like what Joe has been up to the last year or what exactly happened with Gordon's first attempt at a computer. Enough to keep me watching, at least.

Louie "Elevator Part 6"
It's Louie, so of course the ending of this story would make perfect sense and also be unexpected. It was all but guaranteed that the Amia thing would end with someone translating something. I assumed it would be her aunt, but a waiter works too. The part I didn't see coming was how harrowing the Hurricane Jasmine Forscythe part would be. I love that Hertz was still open. It's one of those rare cases where the product plug can be funny and the company on-board (because, let's face it. That's great service). It was nearly jarring how that was bookended by the Amia stuff. So far, I'm enjoying Louie's serialized work this season although I am starting to miss some of the stand-alone stuff.

Louie "Pamela Part 1"
I simply can't decide whether I like Pamela or not. There's a great uncomfortable chemistry between them and I like Pamela Adlon in general but he's such a putz and she'd mean. Also, I don't want to harp on this because I did think it was a funny enough scene but it's a little unfortunate ending last week with Louie not taking no with Amia last week, then again with Pamela (not to mention "Model"). I get that this is constantly a heightened reality and this could all be less accurate than it is, how difficult it feels for him and he's not a dense writer/director, but it sure leaves some room for the audience to be uncomfortable.

Fargo "The Heap"
I certainly didn't expect the time jump. Part wants to feel cheated because everything was escalating at such a brisk pace, but I've already come around to the benefits of it. Malvo took care of the entire Fargo operation so no need to be on the run due to that. The case against Lester and Malvo has been closed and Molly can't sustain being as insubordinate as she is in that short of a time. Without the active ongoing investigation, Lester doesn't have much to do. So, yeah, I'm ok with the jump. Lester is doing better than ever now. If it didn't happen because he killed his wife, I'd be pretty happy to see him get a backbone. Molly and Gus are together (and he's a mail main!) which pleases me. Key and Peele's FBI agents are stuck in the file room and waxing philosophic about what IS a file room. I'm not sure what Malvo is up to, but really, is anyone ever sure about that? I'm certain it's nothing good. The time jump is forcing me to invite the True Detective comparison and I can only hope Fargo ends a bit stronger than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment